The skirt is one I've made a few times before, Simplicity 2622. This time I knew all the areas that I wanted to add special touches. Pocket bags, a hong kong seam finish for the back seam. Liberty facing with a bound edge. I love the chambray, it's one I'll wear with anything. As for the cardigan, it's based on a favorite cardigan in my closet. I used this sweater knit and I love how soft and cozy it is. I couldn't believe how much I love it. It's a favorite fall look, all three of these pieces will get a ton of wear!
No Big Dill---Octopi Crush
The week started out relatively calm, with plans for just a simple stamped fabric.
The octopi won out and graced a tissue-weight fabric in stripes. Then they were joined by seaweed-like ruffles that managed to take stage front and center, pushing those sea creatures aside. Before I knew it, there were polka-dots everywhere and bows that wanted in on the action as well!
This was a fun one for me, and I finally had to tell myself: enough, Katy. The skirt is a self drafted pattern with a small placket in the back and two layers of fabric. The shirt is actually from an old dress pattern (Vogue 8028-I think I snatched it from my mom?) that I used just the top bodice, lengthening it to blouse length. I also rounded the collar and added tiny piping (can you spy it?), as well as shortening the sleeves with the addition of a vent. And bow, of course. The buttons (12 of them!!) are probably the smallest I've ever used on a functional item of clothing and I think they're quite delightful, just the same size as the polka-dots, made of glass. I have more photos on my blog, no big dill, plus some unexpected photo-bombers, if you dare venture over! ;)
Julia Bobbin---Hay Fever
I really enjoyed this challenge and learnt a few things about myself along the way! I've always loved and been drawn to prints. When you look into my (very extensive and out of control) fabric stash, you'll see piles and piles of beautiful fabric with prints that make you ooh and ahh. But here's the thing, I hardly ever use prints! I had a look through my past projects and I was shocked to discover that out of my 41 projects listed, only 10 of them were with printed fabrics! How curious! When I go into a fabric store without a project in mind, I buy up on beautiful prints. But when my project is inspired by a pattern first, I'm drawn to straight colours.
After this little epiphany I was excited to break out of my subconscious design cycle and start my design with a print first. I had this beautiful colourful cotton sateen in my stash and I decided to liberate it from the pile. It was so fun coming up with ideas to fit the fabric! This dress was made using an altered bodice of Vogue pattern 8280. I drafted my own skirt and sleeves, which both feature a row of pleats. The pleats were cut on the straight grain to make them kick out a little at the bottom and then were each individually sewn together. It took many hours and a lot of fabric to make just the pleats alone; 4 hours and 4 metres to be exact! Yikes! The pleats give a beautiful weight to the hemline and I love the flirty-ness it adds to the garment. It's Spring here in Australia and it's starting to warm up. Looks like this dress has come just in time!
This week's look came together rather fortuitously. I made the shirt and the blazer before I found the elephant print, so I spent a few weeks nervously hoping the perfect fabric would find me. Luckily it did, and just in time too! The tank is jersey in the front and silky polyester in the back. I bought the fabrics online, so I was just hoping they'd match. I was so excited to open the box and discover that they were nearly identical. The shirt pattern was made using my own bodice sloper and a few muslins. The racerback features a heavy metal navy zipper, which is a look I'd been wanting to make for awhile now. I hemmed the tank with an exaggerated shirt hem just for some interest.
The jacket was also a long process and didn't turn out at all like my original sketch, but it is one of my favorite pieces from Project Sewn. I love how sewing can be such a journey sometimes. I started with a bulky, long blazer pattern from Burda and ended up taking it in by about 4 inches, angling the front bodices to be asymmetrical, and making the sleeves 3/4 length. I still wasn't loving the look, so I cut the whole thing off at the waist and added a half circle peplum and a gray velvet ribbon. I just love how it's classy and a little bit equestrian, but the sweatshirt fabric makes it completely accessible for everyday wear with jeans. I found this elephant canvas fabric while in Singapore with some girlfriends and knew immediately that it was going to be my print. Because it is so graphic and large scale, I decided to make a simple straight mini to really feature the unique print. The skirt was a pure joy to put together, with no mistakes or fit issues. I made the pattern just by plotting my measurements and then used back darts to tailor the waist. I hand stitched the hem, and then hand stitched the lining to the hem (all while watching Downton, of course!) and it made for a very professional and satisfying finished product. You can see pictures of the inside and more of the outfit over at Crafterhours!