Knitting is not a simple craft technique that requires the ingenuity and creativity of the performers. Besides, the best knitting needles are a vital factor that may make or break your knitting project. Therefore, I believe the last thing you want to be an obstacle for it is an inappropriate pair of knitting needles.
That’s why I congregate a list of the best knitting needles available in the market with the detailed and objective reviews for you to ease the decision making.
No matter whether you’re a beginner or an expert, knitting for a hobby or a job, it is always wise to invest yourself in suitable and quality knitting needles.
- Get to Know Knitting Needles
- What Are The Best Knitting Needles?
- Knitting Needles Comparison Chart
- Top 15 Best Knitting Needles Reviews
- 1. Betybedy Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
- 2. Clover 3011-08 Knitting Needles
- 3. CLOVER 3016/24-06 Circular Knitting Needles
- 4. ChiaoGoo CG-7040-2 Knitting Needles
- 5. Clover 3683 Knitting Needles Set
- 6. Addi EasyKnit 110-7 3.75 Knitting Needles
- 7. Chiaogoo 7400-C Complete Knitting Needles Set
- 8. Knitter’s Pride KP110606 Straight Needle Set
- 9. Knitters Pride Dreamz 200601 Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
- 10. Lykke Driftwood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
- 11. Knitter’s Pride 6272294 Double-Pointed Needles
- 12. ChiaoGoo TRTBB2573 Knitting Needles
- 13. Wright Products 631019 Jumbo Knitting Needles
- 14. Lion Brand 400-5-9002 Knitting Needles
- 15. Knitter’s Pride KP800133 Cable Needles
- Buying Guidance
- My Top Pick
Get to Know Knitting Needles
First let’s go over the necessary information, types, and materials of knitting needles for an insight into it
What Are Knitting Needles
Knitting needles are a useful support tool in hand knitting. Usually, they will consist of two sections: the long shaft and the tapered tip with the degree of sharpness depends on the manufacturer to serve different purposes.
Previously, people believed that knitting is a traditional and somewhat out-fashioned activity, but they are all abroad. Today it gradually becomes a healthy hobby that attracts all ages. Therefore, the demand to search and pick up high-quality and optimal knitting needles for different knitting projects is increasing.
Not only as simple as a basic design that you often see, but nowadays, manufacturers have also created several diverse knitting needles with high applicability.
- Straight Knitting Needles: The most basic type that might appear first in your mind whenever you think of knitting, inspired by the image of the women in previous generations sat knitting. Typically, this type is ideal for a small, flat project such as scarves, baby towel, or cloth pieces.
- Circular Knitting Needles: So how about the round projects? Circular ones couldn’t be more reasonable for any of your sock, hat, or mitten. Moreover, knitters can still utilize it for large flat projects, for instant, shawl or blankets.
- Interchangeable Knitting Needles: This type usually comes in a set that provides you diverse choices. Thanks to the separation of the needle and cord section, you can effortlessly adjust the size. Therefore, even that this is a considerable investment, it can fit plenty of your intended uses.
- Double-Pointed Knitting Needles: This type is a convenient combination between straight and circular types. As a result of the design, which consists of 2 tapered tips at both ends and the pliable middle, the double-pointed needles are perfectly suitable for smaller round projects.
Material is also an essential factor in bringing different user experiences to knitters. Currently, these materials are superiority:
- Bamboo: It is common among knitters due to its lightness, flexibility, and the bamboo knitting needles can contentedly glide through the yarn smoothly. However, in a small range size, it is not durable and can be broken or split.
- Wood: This is a more fancy version of bamboo needles. Containing all the advantages of the bamboo needles, it additionally provides a warm and firm hold. Notwithstanding, this kind of needles is not very slippery and usually slows down your knitting speed.
- Metal: Typically, this material makes your needles extraordinarily durable and lasts for years, along with an affordable price. In return, the knitting needles from this material is inflexible; it feels cold to touch and clinks while knitting.
- Plastic: This material is a great and convenient choice in case you need big-sized knitting needles since it is lightweight and flexible. Aesthetically, these needles usually come in with a variety of colors. However, its durability is a significant defect.
What Are The Best Knitting Needles?
According to the various available products on the market, I suggest a shortlist of knitting needles that are genuinely worth considering.
- Best Budget: BetyBedy Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
“You shouldn’t pass up this knitting needles set, which guarantees the standard quality while still offers an attractive price tag.”
- Best For Beginners: Clover 3011-08 Knitting Needles
“For each of the beginners, pick up their first knitting needles is not an easy task with several considerations. However, this option can ease that “headache” with all the features from the size, style, and material that are the best fit for you.”
- Best Overall: Chiaogoo 7400-C Complete Knitting Needles Set
“In general, this set contains everything you desire for knitting, from sturdy knitting needles, flexible cords to several supportive accessories. What a valuable investment.”
- Best For Socks: ChiaoGoo CG-7040-2 Knitting Needle
“With regard to knit the socks or any other small and round project, the size of this ChiaGoo knitting needles will fully meet all your requirements.”
- Best Interchangeable Knitters Pride Dreamz 200601 Knitting Needles Set
“There is no need to bother about choosing the desired size of knitting needles when you can have a wide variety of choices within just one set of knitting needles now. This investment will get your money’s worth.”
- Best For Professionals: Clover 3683 Knitting Needles Set
“In order to upgrade the knitting skill, the professionals need to practice on diverse knitting projects, and this set of a wide range of interchangeable needles is a great option to meet your demands.”
- Best For Gift: Lykke Driftwood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
“This set of interchangeable knitting needles fully adapts both aesthetical and functional side of an ideal gift for your beloved or acquaintances who enjoy knitting.”
- Best For Speed Knitters: Addi EasyKnit 110-7 3.75 Knitting Needles
“Once you have skilled in the basic knitting technique, you can try these knitting needles for an acceleration.”
- Best Double-Pointed: Knitter’s Pride 6272294 KnittingNeedles
“In case you want to challenge yourself with small and round projects but not master at the magic loop technique, these double-pointed needles are an enjoyable alternative.”
- Best For Bulky Yarns: ChiaoGoo TRTBB2573 Knitting Needles
“These chunky and rigid wooden knitting needles are indispensable for the success of your massive project with thick and bulky yarns.”
- Best For Arthritis: Wright Products 631019 Jumbo Knitting Needles
“If you are suffering from the pain of arthritis and it obstructs you in knitting hobby, the lightweight of these needles can be a solution.”
- Best Cable: Knitter’s Pride KP800133 Cable Knitting Needles
“This product is typically designed to simplified your knitted cording projects.”
Knitting Needles Comparison Chart
Through this chart, you can have some general ideas about the highlight features of each product. I hope you can figure out which one is the best suit for you.
|Product||Type||Piece(s) per pack||Size|
|BetyBedy Bamboo Knitting Needles Set - Best Knitting Needles on a Budget||Straight||36||From 2 to 10mm (2 pieces per size)|
|Clover 3011-08 Knitting Needles - Best Knitting Needles for Beginners||Straight||1 pair||US 8|
|CLOVER 3016/24-06 Circular Knitting Needles||Circular||1 pair||US 6 (4mm)|
|ChiaoGoo CG-7040-2 Knitting Needles - Best Knitting Needles for Socks||Circular||1 pair||US 2 (2.75mm)|
|Knitters Pride Dreamz 200601 Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set - Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles||Interchangeable||9 pairs and 4 cords||Tips from US 4 - 11 (metric 3.5 - 8mm) and 4 cords (24",32", 40")|
|Clover 3683 Knitting Needles Set - Best for Professionals||Interchangeable||12 pairs with 5 cords||Needle sizes from US 3 to 15 and cord sizes (16, 24, 29, 36 and 48-inch)|
|Addi EasyKnit 110-7 3.75 Knitting Needles - Best Knitting Needles for Speed Knitters||Circular||1 pair||US 5 (3.75mm)|
|Knitter's Pride KP110606 Straight Needle Set||Straight||1 pair||From US4 to 10|
|Chiaogoo 7400-C Complete Knitting Needles Set - Best Overall Knitting Needles||Interchangeable||13 pairs with 8 cords||Tips sizes from US 2 to15 with 8", 14", and 22" cords|
|Lykke Driftwood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set - Best Knitting Needles for Gift||Interchangeable||12 pairs with 3 cords||5" needle tips in sizes US 4 (3.5mm) to 17 (12mm) with 24", with 32", and 40" cords|
|Knitter's Pride 6272294 Double-Pointed Needles - Best Double-Pointed Knitting Needles||Double-pointed||5||US 0 (2.25mm)|
|ChiaoGoo TRTBB2573 Knitting Needles - Best Knitting Needles for Bulky Yarns||Circular||1 pair||US 35|
|Wright Products 631019 Jumbo Knitting Needles - Best Knitting Needles for Arthritis||Straight||1 pair||US 19|
|Lion Brand 400-5-9002 Knitting Needles||Straight||1 pair||US 10 (6 mm)|
|Knitter's Pride KP800133 Cable Needles - Best Cable Knitting Needles||Cable||2||2 (2.75mm)|
Top 15 Best Knitting Needles Reviews
Now, let’s come to the most expected part: a detailed review. With specific product reviews, pros-cons assessment, hopefully, you can do the final wise shopping.
1. Betybedy Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
(Best Knitting Needles on a Budget)
With the approximate price tag, you can receive a set of 36 straight, single-pointed bamboo knitting needles in diverse sizes. Quite a bargain. This variety of selections will be perfect for you to knit different projects from large to small ones conveniently.
Opposite to its affordability, each knitting needle is high-quality processed with smooth and mold-treated bamboo, ensuring the product durability (but be assured that there won’t be any remained chemical smell which brings you discomfort)
Moreover, due to the bamboo material, those knitting needles are all lightweight enough to comfortably hold, and be able to slide smoothly on yarns.
- Made of high-quality bamboo
- Including nine different sizes for various using purposes
|Size||From 2 to 10mm (2 pieces per size)|
- The manufacturer doesn’t mark on the US size so that you may need a conversion chart
2. Clover 3011-08 Knitting Needles
(Best Knitting Needles for Beginners)
As my experiences, there are three standards for a successful shopping for your first knitting needles: average size, particularly from US 5 to 9, made of bamboo and preferably be the traditional types – straight knitting needles.
Fortunately, this product fully adapts all of those. These high-quality bamboo knitting needles are in size eight and well-made, which don’t have any splintery left. The straight shape of it is especially typical for your first basic knitting projects, such as handkerchiefs or scarves.
- Medial size
- Premium natural bamboo needles
- 9″ length which is not plenty on the market
- Smooth but still rough enough so that the stitches won’t fall off
- Excellent size for beginners
- Not suitable for a fast knitter
This video will inform you more reviews of users when they try the straight bamboo knitting needles of Clover in general:
3. CLOVER 3016/24-06 Circular Knitting Needles
In case this is your first-time work on the circular knitting needles, this product shouldn’t be overlooked. The bamboo material of the product is of good quality. It is smooth and consists of no splinter, which will scratch or snag your thread.
In fact, the more you use these needles, the more gentle you feel while handling them since it absorbs the oil and sweat from your hands. However, it will also cause the color of the bamboo sections to fade a little bit.
A durable nylon cable is also a highlight of this product. Although it is not very straightforward, it is still flexible enough to ensure you do not get tangled up in the knitting process.
- High-quality natural bamboo
- Available in various sizes, especially, medium-size like 6 is suitable for beginners
- Sturdy cord
- Smooth and not splintery
- Easy to handle
- Good quality bamboo
- Color faded after a period of using
If you are looking forward to some visual and in-depth reviews, let take a look at this video:
4. ChiaoGoo CG-7040-2 Knitting Needles
(Best Knitting Needles for Socks)
These needles are in size 2 with the total length up to 40″, which is ideal for knitting socks with the magic loop (the super useful method for working in the round) in small circumferences.
The quality is significant, while the cord is highly flexible so that you won’t have to struggle with any kink. Furthermore, the stainless steel needles provide not only durability, aesthetics, but also excellent performance thanks to the sharp tips that can speed up your knitting even with small stitches.
If you are an environmental lover, this is obviously an even more sensible option as this product is produced through an eco-friendly process, and most of them are fully recyclable.
- Perfectly made needles with stainless steel
- Durable cables
- Ideal size for sock knitters
|Length||40″ (including 5″ of each metal section)|
- High-grade stainless steel
- The sharp tips are quite dangerous especially for children
- Cause “clinking” sound, might disturb some knitters
You would love this detailed instruction for making the socks with magic loop:
5. Clover 3683 Knitting Needles Set
(Best for Professionals)
The size variety of this set is an appreciation, which allows you to knit numerous projects.
With only one purchase, you can own up to 60 different sizes of knitting needles, thanks to the combination of 12 tips and five cords. All of these tips are well-made and sturdy with premium bamboo, but in reality, the small sizes are a bit fragile, so it’s better to be gentle with them.
Joints are also my favorite point as they are made of solid stainless steel and are easy to connect with the rest. However, the plastic cord causes concern for durability and twisting.
- 60 combinations of cord and tip
- Premium bamboo tip
- Secure joints
- Convenient and secure leather-like case
|Length||4″ length of the needles|
|Size||12-Needle sizes US (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, 15) and 5-cord sizes (16, 24, 29, 36 and 48-inch )|
- Full range sizes for versatility
- Smooth movement for every stitch
- Quite rough needles
- The plastic cord that will curve after a while using
- No additional accessories
Before making any purchase, why don’t you glance over this visual review:
6. Addi EasyKnit 110-7 3.75 Knitting Needles
(Best Knitting Needles for Speed Knitters)
Proper to its name, EasyKnits, this is indeed a turning point making your knitting work faster and easier.
Incredibly, instead of owning two equal needle sections like usual, this product has one longer and one shorter needle. Additionally, they are lightweight, so that it is very comfortable to hold and painless even when knitting for a while.
There is the trick for you is to hold the shorter needle in your dominant hand as the active needle to achieve the highest comfort and quickly accomplish your project.
- Two needles different in length
|Length||10″ circular, 2.75″ longer tip, 1.75″ shorter tip|
|Material||Hollow brass tips and nylon cord|
- Easy to handle
- The 10″ length might not be suitable for a large knitting project
Don’t miss the sharing in this video to know more about this product:
7. Chiaogoo 7400-C Complete Knitting Needles Set
(Best Overall Knitting Needles)
This set worths every cent with all the quality needles contained in a lovely fabric case for convenient storage and portability. What you get will not be barely a pair of needles, but up to 13 pairs of 4-inch needles in full range sizes from US2 to 15.
Moreover, you can easily combine them with eight different cords to make a” collection” of various circular needles in sizes. Along with that, the manufacturer also provides accessories such as end stoppers, tighten & loosen keys, and the cables connectors, making your knitting much more comfortable.
Quality of the product has nothing to concern, and the surgical stainless steel needles can typically last for ages while the accompanied red cables don’t have memory; therefore, they won’t fight with the yarns.
- Various tips and cables in diverse sizes
- Super smooth joints
- Soft carrying case
- Including accessories to assist your knitting project
|Length||16″, 22″, and 30″ in total length|
|Size||4″ tips in sizes US 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5,11,13,15 with 8”, 14”, and 22” cords|
|Material||Surgical stainless steel|
- Interchangeable for plenty of choices
- Sturdy and durable
- As similar to most metal needles, these needles are quite slippery
I believe you will need such a detailed and visual review of this product:
8. Knitter’s Pride KP110606 Straight Needle Set
The carbon fiber material used in the body of the needle will bring a fresh experience to the knitters. As advantages, these needles are highly flexible similar to bamboo, but more tensile to avoid fragility.
In my opinion, the black color of the shaft is quite cool, which brings a classy outlook. However, it can sometimes cause inconvenience due to the coinciding with the dark yarns.
Its slight defect is that the tip and body of the needle do not fit entirely together. It might be a little disturbing but won’t snag your yarns.
- High-tech carbon fiber shaft
- Pointy tips
- Zipper case
|Size||From US4 to 10|
|Material||carbon fiber with nickel-plated brass tips|
- Gentle and warm to hold
- Slide smoothly on yarns
- There is a tiny gap between tip and shaft
9. Knitters Pride Dreamz 200601 Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
(Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles)
My first impression about this needles set is their colors, which I feel attractive and convenient. Each size of the needles is coded in one different color so that you can immediately recognize it without struggling to search for the inscription on the shaft as usual.
Furthermore, these needles are genuinely handy since they are lightweight, smooth, and provide warm hold as a result of birch material. The tips of these needles are additionally a plus you should consider if your house has kids, they are pointy in an acceptable degree so that it won’t injure.
- Well-made wooden tips in various size
- 4 flexible, stiff-enough cords without any kink
- Size Markers, End Caps, Cord Keys, and one carrying case
|Size||US 4 – 11 (metric 3.5 – 8mm)|
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and smooth
- Sharp points but not dangerous
Not suitable for speed
Such an informative video to answer all your queries about this set:
10. Lykke Driftwood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
(Best Knitting Needles for Gift)
Another interchangeable knitting needles option for you to consider.
This time, the Lykke brings in for you a set of needles with beautiful design from inside out. This set can be an excellent choice as a gift for any knitaholics or even yourself because aesthetics is a vital factor to stimulate your creativity and enthusiasm toward knitting.
Regarding the functional, this is a practical set that provides you up to 60 combinations of grippy wooden tips and cords so that you can produce different projects. Additionally, things will be even more comfortable, thanks to the enclosed stoppers and keys.
- Aesthetic denim pouch
- Full set of accessories
|Length||5 Cords: two 24″, two 32″, and one 40″|
|Size||5″ needle tips in sizes US 4,5, 6,7,8,9,10,10.5,11,13,15,17|
- Nice grasp
- Sturdy wooden tips
- Not smooth joints
- The cord does have memory
Watch this video to gain an overview of this set:
11. Knitter’s Pride 6272294 Double-Pointed Needles
(Best Double-Pointed Knitting Needles)
In case you aren’t comfortable with the magic loop technique and don’t want to suffer the twisting issue of the cord, I highly recommend these five double-pointed knitting needles. In my opinion, it can be a great supporter of fantastically making any kind of knitted garments like socks, baby clothes, or hats.
These carbon fiber needles avoid the coldness of metal needles but are still sturdy as similar to them and even more flexible. Additionally, the manufacturer designs the sharp brass tips so assist you in rapidly finish your knitting garments.
- High-quality carbon shart
- Pointy tips
- Handy 6-inches needles
- Easy to use
- Pointy tips may scratch the yarns
A detailed review is here for you:
12. ChiaoGoo TRTBB2573 Knitting Needles
(Best Knitting Needles for Bulky Yarns)
Some people are not fond of the roughness and slowness of the wooden needles, but it turns out to be a great advantage in this case – working with bulky and thick yarns. The giant size of the hardwood provides enough capacity to accommodate all the stitches, especially for a large project like a blanket.
Moreover, the cord is additionally such an advantage. Imagine that you are knitting a blanket with bulky yarns, but the cord twists and fights against your threads. How awful is it, right. Fortunately, that terrible vision will never come true with this thick and flexible plastic cord.
- Dense hardwood needles
- Thick and flexible cords by hollow plastic
- Giant size
|Size||35 (19 mm)|
- Sturdy and slick needle
- Suitable for large projects
- Warm hold
- Gradually becoming heavier after a while of knitting
- Not ideal for the person with arthritis
13. Wright Products 631019 Jumbo Knitting Needles
(Best Knitting Needles for Arthritis)
If you need to knit big projects like blankets, scarves, rugs, but you can’t stand the sturdiness, but weighty of the wooden knitting needles, and it aggravates your arthritis, this might be worth considering. Because of plastic, so even at size 19, the product is still light and easy to hold, help you advoid the pain.
However, also because it is plastic, it does not provide firmness and can create durability concerns when trying on too massive and chunky projects.
- Jumbo size
- Lightweight plastic needles
- Affordable for the jumbo size
- Lightweight despite the size
- Easy to handle
- A little bit lack of weight some super bulky projects
A typical example for when you need jumbo-size needles:
14. Lion Brand 400-5-9002 Knitting Needles
As I mention above, knitting is appealing to people of all ages, and it is interpreted as including children. With the assist from these needles, I believe the kids will soon become a real knitter.
The design of this knitting needle facilitates the knitting process of children, and the blunt tips will ensure not to injure the junior. Additionally, the vivid color with the animal effigy attached at the bottom end helps stimulate the children’s creativity and passion for knitting.
- Colorful and children-friendly design
- The size that fits small hands
- Safe blunt tips
|Size||10 (6 mm)|
- Safe for children
- Easy to hold and use
- Not slippy enough
- Not preferable for the adults or serious knitters
If you still wonder whether they are suitable for your kids, let watch this video:
15. Knitter’s Pride KP800133 Cable Needles
(Best Cable Knitting Needles)
At first glance, they are quite similar to the double-pointed knitting needles but specialize for cabling only. These needles are made of durable aluminum with a slippery surface, which is practical for cabling.
Formally, they are undersize and glossy in 2 color versions: pink and blue. However, they are intentionally undersized since the manufacturer only creates it to hold a couple of stitches temporarily while cabling.
- Two needles in different sizes
- Glossy appearance
|Length||5.5 inches in a straight line|
|Size||Pink: US 6, blue: US 1.|
- Catchy outlook
- Only serve one purpose: cabling
Watch this video to learn more about how to use this cable knitting needles:
Below are several essential things you should not overlook to choose your satisfying knitting needles.
When searching online, you’ve probably been overwhelmed by various knitting needles types and confusedly wonder which one will be best suited for you. Well, it depends on your knitting projects.
If the selection of the types based on the features and virtues of each specific one, choosing the material is merely a personal preference. Therefore, it’s best to select your preferable ones through experience. However, for novice knitters, I recommend that bamboo will be ideal for your commencement.
The size of the needles affects your knitting experience more than you expect. As a newbie, you should choose the medium size with about 10″ length needles to gain a comfortable grasp.
Nevertheless, when upgrading your knitting, the needle size should rely tightly on your project to fit your desired gauge that can keep all your stitches.
Also, the type of yarn is a deciding factor for the size. However, don’t be worried because usually, when you buy it, there will be an accompanying tag of information about the appropriate needle size. Make sure you check it before doing any shopping.
Tip of the Needles
On the market, there are generally two types of tips, which are sharp and tapered and rounded tips.
Sharp and tapered tips are efficient while working on the fine yarns and small projects, which can accelerate your knitting.
By contrast, the rounded ones are designed for large and splittable yarns. Moreover, they are much safer for children.
My Top Pick
Then this is the final stage of the journey in finding for you the preferable knitting needles. Hopefully, according to my reviews, you can gain insight into knitting needles and have some idea about your number one option.
From my perspective, my top pick is Knitters Pride Dreamz 200601 Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set. I believe it is not only for the professionals, but beginners who are serious with knitting can also invest in it to start with the medium size first and gradually upgrade their level afterward.
If you want to share your stories or experience or still have any queries about knitting needles or even the knitting world in general, I would love to hear. Feel free to share with me in the comment section below.
Thanks for reading!