If you’re interested in sewing or crafts in general, you probably know how important it is to find the right tools, supplies and accessories. They will help you get the most out of your crafts.
However, a reliable sewing machine should be at the top of your list of tools you might need. The goal of this Juki DDL 8700 review is to help you find the right sewing machine for your needs.
Juki is a Japanese sewing machines producer which is well-known and quite popular all over the world. It provides high-end sewing machines. And their DDL 8700 model isn’t an exception.
Today, I will be focusing on this industrial sewing machine. It’s a single-needle lockstitch unit created for use with medium-weight and light-weight fabric. It’s perfect for different projects.
Interested in buying this sewing machine? If so, make sure to read my Juki DDL 8700 review before you make a final choice. Without further ado, let’s dive into my detailed review of 8700.
|Dimensions:||48 x 36 x 48 inches|
|Machine weight:||28 pounds|
|Machine speed:||5,500 stitches per minute|
|Lift of the presser foot:||13mm|
|Lift of the presser foot by hand:||5.5mm|
|Maximum stitch length:||5mm|
|Needle bar stroke:||35mm|
|Warranty:||5-year limited warranty|
- Juki DDL 8700 Review
- Juki DDL 8700 Pros and Cons
- How to Assemble Juki DDL 8700?
- How to Use Juki DDL 8700?
- How to Thread Juki DDL 8700?
- How to Oil Juki DDL 8700?
- Juki DDL 8700 for Quilting
- Juki DDL 8700 for Leather
- Juki DDL 8700 with Servo Motor
- Juki DDL 8700 with Table
- Juki DDL 8700 Needle
- Juki DDL 8700 Accessories
- Juki DDL 8700 Manual
- What’s the Build Quality of DDL 8700?
- Who is Juki DDL 8700 Made for?
- What Materials Can Juki DDL 8700 Handle?
- Why Buy Juki DDL 8700?
- Where to Buy Juki DDL 8700?
- Wrap Up
Juki DDL 8700 Review
The Juki DDL 8700 is a single-needle, industrial, straight stitch sewing machine.
The problem with Juki is that people in the USA don’t know that Juki is a brand from Japan popular for their industrial sewing machines.
Juki is present in 170 nations worldwide and represents the key supplier of parts for sewing machines to all popular brands on the market.
Hopefully, this will give you some idea about Juki as a brand. Today, I will discuss one of Juki’s best units. DDL 8700 is a single-needle unit with a servo motor.
Servo motors are your best choice for controlling the speed. Did you know that they also consume 60% less energy when compared to clutch motors?
They’re 1/3 lighter too! The customizable speed of servo motor makes it easy to utilize for newbies. The maximum stitching speed of this sewing machine is 5,500 stitches per minute.
5mm is the maximum stitch length. This machine arrives assembled with the table itself. It doesn’t need setting up but you might need a few people to help you out while transporting it.
DDL 8700 is a heavy sewing machine but you shouldn’t be expecting anything different from a high-end industrial sewing machine. Let’s summarize the key features:
- Up to 1/2-inch presser foot lift by knee lever
- Adjustable RPMs for a broad-ranging option for stitch speed
- Lockstitch, single-needle sewing unit with an auto-lubrication system
- Capable of producing maximum stitch speed of 5,500 stitches per minute
- 110-volt servo motor that ensures a smooth and quiet operation of the unit
- 5mm maximum stitch length, delivering a minimum of six stitches per inch
- A maximum of 1/4-inch presser foot lift by a hand lever
Juki DDL 8700 Pros and Cons
The Juki DDL 8700 industrial sewing machine is perfect for small businesses and home use. However, it’s a lot better than average sewing units because it’s loaded with a wet bath reservoir.
This reservoir keeps oil. Most household sewing machines don’t require lubrication between visits to the repair shop. The Juki DDL 8700 is available with either servo motor or clutch motor.
And although clutch motors are stronger and more powerful, servo motors have a regulator to reduce or set the motor’s RPMs. Servo motors help you keep a constant speed when free motion quilting.
Or when performing work where accuracy and stitch consistency is necessary. If you’re looking for a top-notch mechanical unit that doesn’t rely on computerized parts, look no further than DDL 8700.
This industrial sewing machine requires low maintenance. Maintenance is straightforward and relatively easy. Many service problems can be solved at home by watching online tutorials.
Overall, DDL 8700 is a decent sewing machine with a lot of advanced features. It’s feature-rich but easy to use. And just like all sewing machines, it has flaws. Let’s summarize the main.
- The speed is amazing for stitching miles of seams fast. At 5,500 stitches per minute, it can pass through tasks as quickly as you can move the material under the needle.
- The 10.5-inch throat space delivers a lot of space for moving bulky, large items through the unit.
- The presser foot knee lift provides a hands-free control, and 1/2-inch lift for super bulky seams.
- The drop feed dog feature and the broad throat make it a great choice for thread painting art or free motion quilting.
- The foot control gives the user with bigger freedom in manipulating speed and complete foot contact can lower leg and foot fatigue.
- The 110-volt servo motor isn’t only quieter and powerful but stitching speed can be controlled by a variable rheostat dial with a span from 0 to 3300 RPM.
- The unit arrives with a specially made table that’s created specifically for the Juki DDL 8700 unit.
- The sewing machine’s head is fastened to the table with hinges for simple lifting to observe the oil level in the tank or replenish.
- The sewing unit includes a dual-spool thread stand and an individually installed bobbin winder.
- This Juki industrial unit also includes a solid base for greater stability when you’re setting out to complete a stitching project.
- The Juki DDL 8700 sewing machine is one of the most cost-effective industrial sewing machines on the market. However, it’s more expensive than portable alternatives.
- The sewing unit provides a lot of arm space (11 inches). Therefore, you never feel limited when performing a stitching task. This also enables you to complete larger and spacious sewing tasks.
- The unit includes a great knee lifter at the bottom that can be utilized to lower or raise the foot.
- Although it’s advertised as an industrial sewing machine, this model has been made in a manner that it’s so easy for even beginners with less or no experience in this practice.
- Like many advanced, industrial sewing machines, this model is self-lubricated. This unit is a wet oil bath unit with the tank directly under the sewing head. The oil needs to be refilled now and again by raising the head and refilling with sewing machine oil.
- The Juki DDL 8700 sewing machine is heavy. It will take 2 handy and strong individuals to unpack and install the unit, table and motor. It will probably come on a shipping pallet. You will need to unpack and move your new sewing buddy to its final landing place.
- It doesn’t have any conveniences like automatic threading, a thread cutter, and other advanced features usually found on standard household sewing machines.
- The main disadvantage of this sewing unit is the weight. This sewing machine weighs around 28 pounds. However, some buyers claim that the total weight is over 100 pounds. It’s not portable. On the contrary, it’s hard to move, install, and transport.
- You will need a large space to accommodate this unit. Make sure that you have enough place for this unit in your sewing station before you purchase. The whole machine with a table is about 48 inches in height. Refer to the specifications above for extra details.
- If you’re used to household sewing units that deliver portability, compactness, and affordability, perhaps you need to consider other sewing machines on the market. This model isn’t any of the things that you’re used to. It’s expensive and heavy but worth the cost.
How to Assemble Juki DDL 8700?
Luckily, you will receive your Juki DDL 8700 fully assembled. You don’t need to waste time assembling it which is great. I don’t know about you, but I prefer the assembled products.
It’s important to remember that a sewing unit of this quality is both heavy and large. Therefore, it might not need assembling. However, it requires a lot of effort to be transported.
Your sewing machine comes as a big box (48 x 36 x 48 inches). You will need 2 strong adults to transport the machine to your prefered location. Installation can be further hard when you need to transport your sewing machine up 1 or multiple flights of stairs or pass it via narrow doorways.
While modern buildings can usually accommodate a package of this size in a single piece, older buildings may not. In this case, you will need to break down the package and disassemble components to move it via doorways, down narrow halls of upstairs.
When completely assembled, this sewing machine measures around 48 inches in both height and length and 20 inches in width. However, the most important thing is that Juki DDL 8700 comes fully assembled which makes things a lot easier.
How to Use Juki DDL 8700?
Although Juki DDL 8700 is a heavy, industrial sewing machine, it’s still easy to use. One thing I like about this sewing machine is the great speed control you can receive.
You can go super slow if you want. Or super fast. This machine goes crazy at high speeds. Also, the stitch quality is impressive at top speeds. The motor is super quiet.
There’s no more annoying sound which is unbelievable for such a strong and powerful motor. This Juki is a perfect choice for both medium weight and lightweight fabrics.
It performs a great job with canvas and denim. However, make sure to use the right needles for the best results. This unit has one of the most beautiful straight stitches.
How to Thread Juki DDL 8700?
Juki DDL 8700 is a mechanical, industrial unit. It doesn’t have any conveniences like automatic threading, a thread cutter, and other advanced features usually found on other sewing units. However, this sewing machine is still easy to thread unlike other mechanical sewing machines out there.
How to Oil Juki DDL 8700?
Luckily, this industrial unit comes with an auto-lubrication that makes the maintenance of Juki 8700 easy and effortless. You will save a lot of money and time thanks to this feature.
Juki DDL 8700 for Quilting
To quilt with this machine, take off the feed dogs and add a stitch plate without feed dog slots. Lift the presser foot pressure with the presser foot pressure knob.
Apply a quilting foot and search for YouTube videos on how to adjust your sewing machine properly. It’s probably a better quilting unit than any of the semi-industrials.
Juki DDL 8700 for Leather
One issue I found with this industrial sewing machine is that the needle that arrives included in the box isn’t that strong. You can easily break it. Therefore, you would be better off purchasing stronger needles individually.
However, 8700 isn’t a good choice for sewing leather.
Juki DDL 8700 with Servo Motor
The Juki DDL 8700 industrial sewing machine arrives with a 110-volt servo motor which is strong enough to handle a lot of heavy-duty projects. It’s a super versatile unit.
The best part? It’s quiet and powerful which isn’t the case with other sewing units. This motor performs quietly and smoothly which is pretty incredible. There’s no annoying sound.
The maximum speed of this unit is 5,500 stitches per minute. This number should paint a clear picture of what this industrial sewing machine is capable of. It’s super fast and powerful.
Your sewing tasks will be completed in a blink of an eye. If you’re worried about the stitch quality, don’t. Although 8700 is super fast, it still provides a flawless, consistent stitch quality.
You get a lot of benefits from servo motors. For instance, they utilize around 90% less energy than clutch motors. And they’re lightweight, unlike clutch motors. No parts to adjust or wear out.
With a press of a button, you can reverse motor rotation. It’s also important to mention that no matter how hard you push the foot pedal, the arranged speed stays the same.
Thanks to the speed control, most people find the sewing machines with servo motors simpler to utilize. Both beginners and hobbyists find this option helpful when making projects that don’t require top-speed stitching. As you can notice, servo motors come with a lot of benefits.
Juki DDL 8700 with Table
The Juki DDL 8700 is sold as a complete product which includes the machine head, motor, stand, sewing light, drawer, table, etc. The table measures 48 x 20 x 36 inches.
Juki DDL 8700 Needle
The needles utilized in this sewing unit are Organ DBx1. They’re the same as 16×23 and they’re similar to the Singer size span from 9-18.
Meaning, you can have needle variation possibilities that are wider than when you’re utilizing a standard sewing machine for home use.
Juki DDL 8700 Accessories
The Juki DDL 8700 includes a 1/2 HP clutch motor (220V and 110V), extra bobbins, printed instructions, bobbin winder, and tabletop plywood (20 x 48 inches).
There’s also a knee lifter, a V belt, sewing machine oil, multiple machine belt guards, a thread stand with sewing drawers, 10 additional pieces of needles, etc.
Juki DDL 8700 Manual
This sewing machine comes with a manual. It’s well-written and makes a great addition for beginners or people who haven’t had experience with industrial sewing units.
What’s the Build Quality of DDL 8700?
Juki is a popular brand which provides sewing machine parts for other popular brands on the market as well. This should be enough proof of their build quality.
Their DDL 8700l unit is a high-end industrial, single-needle, shop quality unit that seems tireless despite how projects you throw at it. It’s a heavy-duty sewing machine.
The rugged construction has all-metal gears. If you’re looking for a long-lasting sewing machine, look no further than 8700. It’s made to last and comes with a lot of features.
The best part? It has a self-lubricating capacity. This is great because regular oiling isn’t such an easy and pleasant task to do regularly. However, it’s necessary.
Luckily, this sewing machine lubricates itself. Additionally, it’s covered by a 5-year limited warranty. And comes with a well-written and detailed user manual.
Who is Juki DDL 8700 Made for?
The Juki DDL 8700 is highly recommended for sewers who work in mass-producing garment businesses or own one. It can handle the stitching of both ordinary and fashionable pieces.
You can make undergarments, dress shirts, jackets, etc. It’s perfectly capable of responding to the needs of tailors, dressmakers, and fashion designers. The servo motor is just amazing.
It provides an edge over regular sewing units as it’s lightweight, powerful and quiet. Although it’s one of those advanced, industrial sewing units, it’s still suitable for absolute beginners.
They can train and transform into experts in a short period. Fashion schools who have 8700 are satisfied with this sewing machine as it’s highly-durable, super powerful and user-friendly.
What Materials Can Juki DDL 8700 Handle?
The Juki DDL 8870 can handle a wide selection of medium weight and lightweight fabrics. However, it’s not suitable for use with heavy materials like leather and canvas.
If you sew leather, upholstery, vinyl and other heavier materials, make sure to use the right needle. The main purpose of Juki 8700 is providing straight and fast stitching.
Why Buy Juki DDL 8700?
If you’re in the business of repairing or manufacturing clothing, whether stylish or common apparel, you will need a heavy-duty unit made to handle both industrial and basic tasks.
The Juki DDL 8700 sewing machine won’t disappoint you in this aspect. It’s your best choice when you’re on the market for a sewing machine that’s more stable than household machines.
It’s also reasonably-priced when compared to other industrial sewing units for leather and other heavier materials. It’s perfect for tailors, dressmakers, fashion designers, beginners, etc.
Where to Buy Juki DDL 8700?
The Juki DDL 8700 is one of those sewing machines that can help you complete sewing projects fast and easy. It has a big 11-inch arm space that enables people to work with large quilts.
This sewing machine can sew up to 5,500 stitches per minute. The maximum stitch length of this sewing machine is 5mm which provides greater freedom in completing your sewing tasks.
Thanks to the single needle lockstitch system, this powerful sewing unit allows you to create top-notch garments. The best part? The Juki DDL 8700 utilizes a fully automatic oiling system.
The lubrication system keeps your sewing machine well-maintained without putting too much effort and time. This feature makes things a lot easier, especially for frequent, serious sewers.
It’s also budget-friendly unlike other industrial sewing units on the market. People who sew occasionally won’t be able to realize the worth of this powerful sewing machine.
However, seasoned users who work with a lot of fabrics can receive their money’s worth by utilizing this versatile sewing machine. It’s one of Juki’s best industrial sewing machines.
Overall, Juki DDL 8700 is a decent straight stitch, single-needle sewing machine. If you’re looking for an industrial sewing machine that’s reliable and quiet, look no further than 8700.
It’s a heavy-duty sewing machine that can handle both industrial and basic sewing projects. It’s created with both beginners and professionals in mind. It’s advanced but still easy to use.
Most fashion schools in the USA have this sewing machine which on itself is a proof for its durability and quality. The selling point of this unit is the powerful and quiet servo motor it has.
The feedback from buyers is also good. 8700 has the highest ratings for a straight stitch only sewing unit. Did you find my unbiased and detailed Juki DDL 8700 review helpful in some way?