Sewing thread, in addition to meeting the requirements of certainty, also must complete many aesthetics to be able to enter the sights of customers.
In this article, I will introduce to you the quality and suitable embroidery products to choose for your sewing projects in the future, please follow along and analyze with me as well as identify to find the answer you are looking for!
Outstanding Elements to Choose Your Suitable Sewing Thread
Some sewing problems due to improper thread selection include breaks, skipping stitches, or irregular and wrinkled stitches. The properties of the thread determine the degree of thread compatibility with the fabric. The other features of the sewing thread discussed below are interrelated. Changing a property such as the type of fiber can affect one or more other properties – adversely affecting the quality of the garment, performance, and sewing ability:
1. Sewing Thread Color
Thread color affects quality. Shades, tints, and luster should all be considered. The highest quality garments use the color of the thread to match the dominant color of the fabric. For the best color, usually, the color is only slightly darker than the color of the material. To save money, you can use primary colors like white and black in areas not visible.
Although ordering different colored threads for each fabric and storing the sewing threads in the warehouse is expensive, choosing the right one color of thread clearly indicates quality. Manufacturers of low-cost garments often use whatever thread they have.
Dyes must be resistant to washing and light. If the sewing thread fades over time, the appearance of the clothes will be adversely affected. The thread must not run color or wear on fabric.
2. The Regularity of Sewing Thread
It is natural to have some variation within the thread. However, the number of thick and thin segments must be minimal. The massive thread cannot pass freely through parts that come in contact with the sewing thread of the sewing machine, which may lead to the breakage of the yarn during sewing. Thin stitches may be unstable and cause thread breakage either during stitching or while wearing.
3. Sewing Thread Size
Heavy fabrics require thicker threads, and lighter fabrics require thinner threads. Given that the fibers to produce the same thread, the thicker the thread, the stronger thread types are worn out due to the larger contact area.
Larger threads can also cause sneezing. As the needle penetrates the fabric, the sewing thread changes the position of the yarn near the needle hole. If the thread size is too large, this movement may cause skipping stitches. The higher the density of fabric, the higher the chances for the stitching due to displacement. The thinnest thread should be used to reduce the sneezing to the lowest point.
4. Sewing Thread Material
Although sewing thread can be made from any type of fiber, most types of thread are made from polyester, nylon, cotton, or rayon. Silk and linen are also used, but the high cost of these fibers limits their use in individual cases. The choice of fiber depends largely on end-use.
Polyester and nylon are durable and chemical resistant. High strength may be too intense for some fabrics. Plastic has higher tensile strength and wears resistance than polyester, making it well suited for applications requiring thin thread, high strength, and flexibility.
The strength of nylon is adversely affected by prolonged exposure to both visible and ultraviolet components of sunlight. Polyester is only affected by ultraviolet rays. UV inhibitors may be introduced into the fiber to avoid deterioration.
Cotton that is not durable with polyethers or nylon has the same fineness and is more prone to abrasion than both fibers. Cotton can be polished (treated with caustic soda) to increase durability. Cotton is also less resistant to chemicals.
The cotton thread has excellent sewing power and is stable at high drying temperatures and is, therefore, less affected by needle warmer during sewing.
5. Elasticity and Elongation of Sewing Thread
Elasticity is the amount that the thread will recover to its original length after being stretched out a certain amount.
Elasticity is especially vital in stretchy knitted fabrics. Two problems may occur, with the thread having poor elasticity. The first one is poor elasticity thread results in loose stitches and wrinkles or poor coverage. The unstable thread can stretch, recover, and creating a crease similar to the appearance of a crease due to shrinkage.
Elongation is the amount that can only be stretched until it reaches the breaking point. Both properties are important when assessing seam elongation.
6. The Durability of Sewing Thread
The strength of thread is essential for the sustainability of stitches and stitches. Continuous thread breakage due to weak threads during the sewing process may damage the production plan and lead to less durable seams; however, the durable thread is not always a good thing.
The two most important aspects of durability are relative strength and ring strength. The relative strength and appropriate ring strength shall be determined when selecting threads.
For regular clothing, the relative strength of the thread must match that of the fabric – never be more durable. If the thread is more durable than the fabric, the fabric will be torn before the thread breaks. Torn materials are often harder to fix than torn seams. However, for high-performance products, such as seat belts and umbrellas and car airbags, you never want less durable threads.
7. Shrinkage of Sewing Thread
Shrinkage is the amount of thread that the thread shrinks under the action of washing or heating. Shrinkage shows the percentage of the original length of the thread. Shrinkage of the sewing thread should be compatible with the shrinkage of the fabric. If the sewing thread has a higher shrinkage than the fabric, the seam may wrinkle when exposed to water and heat.
What is The Best Sewing Thread?
An unsatisfactory sewing thread usually results in a disqualified product. Threads are not only vital to the performance of the garment but also affect the ability to sew. Threads must be carefully selected to ensure the quality of garments and easy-to-produce products. When sewing thread is selected, all properties should be considered. The following is a list that I have chosen based on experiences and reviews from various reliable sources; please check it out.
- Best Choice Overall: Coats XP Sewing Thread Kit 50 Spools
“Good quality, diverse colors, strong and affordable.”
- Best for Budget: ZXUY 39 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread
“Impressive quality compared to low prices, many colors and threads have good tension.”
- Best Polyester Sewing Thread: KING DO WAY 24 Spools Polyester Sewing Thread
“Colorfast, the thread is thicker and tougher, less linty, and perfect for tough fabrics.”
- Best Nylon Sewing Thread: Bonded Nylon Sewing Thread
“Simple, complete set of accessories and diverse functions.”
- Best Cotton Sewing Thread: Connecting Threads Set 10 Spools Cotton Sewing Thread
“Neutral colors, smooth operation, and suitable for every sewing project.”
- Best for DIY Artworks: Mettler Set 8 Spring Colors Sewing Thread
” Soft and sleek, great for hand sewing, average prices.”
- Best for Brother: Paxcoo 36 Spools Sewing Thread
” Neat and logical design, lots of color choices, solid bobbins.”
- Best for Singer: Haitral 24 Color Spools Cotton Sewing Machine
“High-quality thread, sharp seam, slender but tight.”
- Best for Babylock: Ilauke 25 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread
“Suitable for lightweight fabrics, compact thread, convenient to carry, and super durable polyester thread.”
- Best for Janome: Keimix 36 Spools Sewing Thread Set
“Unique bobbin design, colorfast with detergent and a variety of colors.”
- Best for Home Sewing: Artika Sewing Kit With Thread and Accessories
“The tool is super complete, suitable for inspiring journeys at extremely low prices.”
- Best for Thick Fabrics: Coats & Clark Heavy-Duty Sewing Thread
” Specially designed for fabrics that are tough, tough and resistant to severe storage conditions.”
Comparison Chart of Best Sewing Thread
Please focus on reading and noting information from this table for further figures that help you have an overall look. This can be useful for you to remember as well as search for a more detailed review below.
|Best Sewing Threads||Dimensions||Weight||Colors|
|Coats XP Sewing Thread Kit 50 Spools - Best Choice Overall||15,7 x 9,9 x 1,2 inches||8 ounces||50|
|ZXUY 39 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread - Best for Budget||2.5 x 0.6 x 0.6 inches||7.7 ounces||39|
|KING DO WAY 24 Spools Polyester Sewing Thread - Best Polyester Sewing Thread||0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 inches||1.9 ounces||24|
|Bonded Nylon Sewing Thread - Best Nylon Sewing Thread||6.4 x 3.7 x 1.7 inches||8.8 ounces||Only white|
|Connecting Threads Set 10 Spools Cotton Sewing Thread - Best Cotton Sewing Thread||6,7 x 2,9 x 2,7 inches||14.4 ounces||10|
|Mettler Set 8 Spring Colors Sewing Thread - Best for DIY Artworks||2.5 x 1 x 6.5 inches||1.6 ounces||8|
|Paxcoo 36 Spools Sewing Thread - Best for Brother||6,1 x 4,9 x 1 inches||7 ounces||36|
|Haitral 24 Color Spools Cotton Sewing Machine - Best for Singer||12,6 x 7,6 x 1,7 inches||1.85 pounds||24|
|Ilauke 25 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread - Best for Babylock||6,8 x 5,5 x 3,2 inches||1.05 pounds||25|
|Keimix 36 Spools Sewing Thread Set - Best for Janome||6,7 x 5,4 x 4,7 inches||1.74 pounds||36|
|Artika Sewing Kit With Thread and Accessories - Best for Home Sewing||6,5 x 1 x 8,5 inches||8.8 ounces||30|
|Coats & Clark Heavy-Duty Sewing Thread - Best for Thick Fabrics||1,2 x 1,2 x 1,8 inches||0.8 ounces||Optional|
Top 12 Best Sewing Thread Reviews 2020
You should concentrate on reading reviews and more specific recommendations for each product. Although there will be some realistic disadvantages, you can find many benefits after all.
Coats XP Sewing Thread Kit 50 Spools
(Best Choice Overall)
In my opinion, the best product that I would like to recommend to you based on the comprehensive look in many aspects such as quality, price as well as the number of colors is these extremely wonderful threads.
- The relatively complete color palette
- Advanced seam with a core wrapped polyester material
- Suitable for all types of machines
- Resolutely solve the thread jam problems
- Reasonable price
- Suitable for beginners
- Ergonomic design
- The thread has high tenacity
- Large thread bobbin
- Little black and white
- The box is not very strong
- Not suitable for sewing cotton blankets
|Dimensions||15,7 x 9,9 x 1,2 inch|
|Yards per cone||125|
|Number of colors||50|
ZXUY 39 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread
(Best for Budget)
If you are a buyer and are looking for a sewing product with excellent quality, reasonable price, and a wide range of colors, these threads are the answer to your sewing projects.
- Standard size with 200 yards per cone
- Bright colors
- Suitable for most fabrics
- Rugged and flexible
- Easy to use
- Anti-jam sewing thread
- There is no starter in the spool
- Lack of accessories as expected
|Dimensions||2,5 x 0,6 x 0,6 inch|
|Yards per cone||200|
|Number of colors||39|
KING DO WAY 24 Spools Polyester Sewing Thread
(Best Polyester Sewing Thread)
Polyester is a popular material in sewing thread; many manufacturers are still innovating their technology to take full advantage of this material. Based on many opinions from those who have experienced it as well as myself, I would like to recommend this collection of 24 sewing threads with 24 bright colors.
- Thicker thread, larger with 1200 yards per cone
- Completely spun from polyester
- Many colorful levels
- Suitable for universal serger sewing machines
- High gloss
- Ideal for hand knitting and a variety of sewing machines
- Perfect for knots
- It is difficult to find the endpoint in some rolls
- The plastic bobbin is less durable
|Dimensions||0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 inches|
|Yards per cone||1200|
|Number of colors||24|
Bonded Nylon Sewing Thread
(Best Nylon Sewing Thread)
With the utmost simplicity, focusing on the function and quality of each thread, this product is something that will really surprise you. Nylon is also a popular material because of its durability and ruggedness in the apparel industry, which you can use for even the most annoying partners like leather shoes, carpets, canvas bags, or wallets. Its application is very high, right?
- 1500 yards per cone
- Monochrome with white
- Sewing needles come in many sizes
- Less sensitive to sunlight than polyester
- Easy to handle
- Strong thread and sharp needle
- Suitable for fixing outside pillowcases, blankets e
- Maybe frayed
- More suitable for manual machines
- Sometimes it will be confusing; it is recommended to choose colors only carefully
|Dimensions||6.4 x 3.7 x 1.7 inches|
|Yards per cone||1500|
|Number of colors||Only white|
Connecting Threads Set 10 Spools Cotton Sewing Thread
(Best Cotton Sewing Thread)
Made entirely from cotton, ensuring more delicate texture and less fiber than other fibers, this thread product is also a solid choice for your cart. Bright colors and each collection are a combination of 10 highly interconnected colors; you will just be able to have a safe experience before choosing to buy other groups of this brand if you feel like that. I think ten colors are enough for a beginner.
- 1200 yards per cone completely spun cotton
- Fewer and less frayed
- Gentle warm colors
- Compliant with standard sewing machine rolls
- Collections are highly coherent
- Just enough choices for the user
- Thickness sufficient
- Reasonable choice for daily needs in the home or small and medium craft projects
- The gloss created by the satin layer is particularly gorgeous
- It is necessary to consider the tension when used to avoid thread breakage
- The colors of some ten spools set will not be awe-inspiring
|Dimensions||6,7 x 2,9 x 2,7 inch|
|Yards per cone||1200|
|Number of colors||10|
Mettler Set 8 Spring Colors Sewing Thread
(Best for DIY Artworks)
My craft friends often complain that they cannot find a really suitable set of sewing threads. The criteria given by them are not too strict; they require high aesthetics of color, strength, and smoothness of each sewing thread, the number of colors does not need too much, but they must catch up with the trend, which makes their craft projects look as trendy as possible. If you also want the above requirements, this product is worth your consideration.
- Cotton with special weaving techniques from Egypt
- Moderate length, about 160 yards per cone
- Standard weight just right 50wt
- No need for complicated cleaning
- Still meet well with most types of sewing machines
- Cooperate smoothly with other details during sewing
- Lovely color chart
- Suitable for making clothes for children
- Some rolls do not have color numbers
- Pay close attention because jamming can only occur
- Price is not too low compared to the number of products
|Dimensions||2.5 x 1 x 6.5 inches|
|Yards per cone||160|
|Number of colors||8|
Paxcoo 36 Spools Sewing Thread
(Best for Brother)
Have you ever wondered that each type and each sewing machine company needs a line of sewing threads specially optimized for your machine? All choices will become more lucid when based on experience. This collection of 36 fresh colors combines incredibly well with the working process of Brother sewing machines, don’t you believe? So allow yourself to experience it yourself!
- Polyester material ensures high stability
- Works well with most sewing machines
- Includes soft plastic case and measuring tape
- Can be used with embroidery machines or hand embroidery
- Save time because of the smoothness and smoothness when used
- Compact and convenient to take away
- Can be used as a gift
- Good price
- Most of them are Brother sewing machines, so other manufacturers should look into compatibility
- The number of yards per cone is quite small and not specific
|Dimensions||6,1 x 4,9 x 1 inches|
|Yards per cone||No details|
|Number of colors||36|
Haitral 24 Color Spools Cotton Sewing Machine
(Best for Singer)
These Haitral rolls are always a very meaningful gift for your friends or relatives who have a particular passion for sewing. More specifically, this collection of 24 sewing threads will be extremely suitable for those who own Singer machines, let me tell you the reason through the ideas below.
- 24 rolls only with different colors
- 1000 yards per cone mixed cotton
- There are many choices of collections: colorful, simple or striking colors
- Large thread bobbins
- Saving money
- High color fastness, hard to fray
- Good after-sales service
- Many useful features
- Difficult to find the beginning and the end
- Thread is suitable for sewing machines for automatic thread winding
- The thread may be wrinkled
|Dimensions||12,6 x 7,6 x 1,7 inches|
|Yards per cone||1000|
|Number of colors||24|
Ilauke 25 Colors Polyester Sewing Thread
(Best for Babylock)
The super handy kit not only has various and quality sewing thread bobbins, but it also comes with a carry-on box for essential occasions. With a fairly affordable price, this sewing product is a good bargain for those who are looking to buy their assistant and their favorite sewing machine on the path to conquering the passion of sewing.
- 25 rolls with only 25 distinct colors
- About 400 yards per cone
- Super durable polyester fiber against fraying
- Comes with a clear bobbin case
- Color catches up
- Just enough weight to use
- Great idea for newbies
- Suitable for most types of sewing machines
- Singer embroidery machine users should consider because it is not suitable
- The thread is thin and not smooth
|Dimensions||6,8 x 5,5 x 3,2 inches|
|Yards per cone||400|
|Number of colors||25|
Keimix 36 Spools Sewing Thread Set
(Best for Janome)
The process of creating a sewing product does not only require the skills and experience of the tailor, but it also depends on many other factors. Is your sewing machine good enough? Is this sewing thread suitable for your Janome sewing machine? Through many positive reviews, I think you can give this sewing product a chance to try its quality.
- 36 rolls with size A, class 15
- 550 yards per cone polyester material
- Good for both hand sewing and sewing machine
- Suitable for moderate sewing speed, not too fast
- Design bobbins against damage when shipping
- Easily find the end of the thread only
- Good price
- Trendy color
- Works smoothly with sewing machines
- There is no black
- Not usable for embroidery machines
- Need to clean the machine if you want to use effectively regularly
|Dimensions||6,7 x 5,4 x 4,7 inches|
|Yards per cone||550|
|Number of colors||36|
Artika Sewing Kit With Thread and Accessories
(Best for Home Sewing)
The following product has become a phenomenon for those who have been trying their passion for sewing not long ago. In my opinion, it is suitable for homemakers who want to sew clothes for their families or items that need stitching. It should also be an indispensable tool for family trips or even useful to your daughter when she has craft lessons in class.
- The kit includes 30 rolls of medium size
- 100 yards per cone with a full range of primary colors
- The sewing tools included as sewing needles, scissors, etc. are all stainless metals
- Elegant and firm leather cover
- Extremely luxurious as a gift
- Cheap compared to quality and variety
- The relatively complete color palette
- Attractive after-sales
- Useful accessories
- Great for hand sewing and craft projects
- Thread size is small for sewing machine
- Carefully jam the thread
|Dimensions||6,5 x 1 x 8,5 inches|
|Yards per cone||100|
|Number of colors||30|
Coats & Clark Heavy-Duty Sewing Thread
(Best for Thick Fabrics)
Tight and stiff fabrics are always a headache to sewers. This product is the savior for your leather belt or leather boots, jeans stand, or even a cool cowboy hat. The manufacturer particularly noted that this product was made for tasks that, for other types of threads, are impossible.
- Dual trap system makes storage easier
- For excellent stitching
- Smooth, strong sewing thread
- Polyester core yarn with 125 yards per cone
- High performance
- Suitable whether hand sewing or machine sewing
- Can be used to edit accessories
- Outstanding quality
- Clean seam
- The roll size may be smaller than your imagination
- It takes much effort when knotting
|Dimensions||1,2 x 1,2 x 1,8 inches|
|Yards per cone||125|
|Number of colors||Optional|
Notes When Using Sewing Thread
1. Managing Sewing Thread Reserves in the Warehouse
Choosing the sewing thread carefully is essential. Storing the correct sewing thread in the warehouse is also necessary.
The sewing thread is wound on the tapered cores with color-coding. The color of the conical core indicates the specifications of the thread, such as thread size, and type of fiber. In some situations, the thread wrapped on the cone core color is incorrect.
Often the thread on the conical core color is wrong – negating the meaning of color-coding. This practice can lead to mismanagement of sewing thread storage and, ultimately, improper use of sewing threads. This can adversely affect production and, ultimately, the quality of clothing.
2. Types of Sewing Machine
On Flat-Stitch Sewing Machines, thread thinner or less durable can be used on the bobbin thread because the thread on the bobbin has less stress while forming a thread loop. However, due to the 50/50 load ratio between bobbin thread sewing thread and needle thread, using two different thread sizes can adversely affect seam strength – resulting in less durable stitches.
On Chain-Stitch Sewing Machines, there is generally a 60/40 load ratio between needle thread and sewing thread of loop-making hook – that is, using more threads on the hook to make loops in the formation of loop stitches. For this reason, thinner threads can be used on the loop formation on the chain stitch machine – saving money.
How Many Kinds of Thread Material?
The quality of the bobbin you use has a direct effect on your output. To get the best results, you need to understand many types of threads and use cases. Here is knowledge of the basic types of threads you need to master.
1. Cotton Thread
Cotton thread has a smooth surface and natural luster. This type of sewing thread is woven from natural cotton yarn. Most cotton thread types give shiny and smooth surfaces. Cotton threads can withstand heat when ironing. The only disadvantage of this thread is that it is more fragile than polyester thread.
2. Polyester Thread
A polyester thread is stronger than cotton thread. This type of thread is ideal for making synthetic fibers. Polyester threads are strong and not as easily broken as cotton threads. This thread is covered with wax or silicone, which makes it easy to penetrate the fabric. However, with the structure of polyester, the thread cannot stand the heat, if ironing with too high temperature, the thread will shrink and break.
3. Silk Thread
Silk thread gives a high-class feel. Silk thread is very beautiful and suitable for natural sewing fabrics such as silk and wool. Because thread made from natural materials should withstand good heat.
If you use the right type of needle, along with this type of silk thread, the fabric surface will not be scratched or punched during sewing, giving an absolute soft appearance on the surface.
4. Wool Sewing Thread
Wool sewing threads have a multitude of colors to choose from. Wool sewing thread is thick and strong, so it is used to sew wool, burlap and sometimes embroidery. This type of thread has a large thread, so when sewing you need to loosen the thread.
5. Metal Thread
Golden metal thread. Metal sewing thread is covered with gold, silver or copper, mainly used for sewing bags, or embroidery.
My Top Pick
My Top Pick is Artika sewing kit with thread and accessories, this product is a completed, functional, and beautiful color chart with elegant cover.
It can be said that thread quality plays an important role in the product finishing step. So you should choose carefully, pay attention to the points that the article mentioned to buy only for accuracy. Good luck!